Sunday, November 16, 2008

2 Things I Learned at a Coaches' Appreciation Dinner That I Will Never Forget

I just got back from a coaches' appreciation dinner hosted by our athletic club. There were two things that were said that I never want to forget. I want them two be passed along to my teams. Feel free to pass them along to your team.

1) A parent spoke and he quoted a statistic that said, "90% of the time failures occur, not as a result of skill or talents, but rather things fail because of a lack effort or a poor attitude". When he said this I thought "Hey, I/We are in control of our attitude and our effort". I made a commitment right then, "If our team fails, let it not fall within that 90% category." My prayer is that my team will give forth incredible effort (see earlier post), and give this effort with a Christ-like attitude.

Philippians 2:5 "Your attitude should be that of Christ Jesus."

2) The second speech came from a female student-athlete at my school. One of the points that she made was "Everyday Satan is going to be at work trying to keep your team from becoming a TEAM." How profound is that? When I am teaching to be selfless, he is tugging at them to be selfish. When I am teaching how awesome it is to be apart of something bigger than yourself, he is telling them that this world is all about "me". When I am trying to unite the team, he is trying to divide the team. When I am teaching them the power of encouragement, he is planting the seed "Why is that so important?".

As I write this blog right now, I realize, I know that I and my coaches cannot solve this problem. We must ask for God to intervene. To take control. To have confidence that God will provide. To understand

Mark 9:23 "All things are possible for the person who believes!"

No comments: