Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Leslie Snoddy -- An American Hero

November 11 -- Veterans Day

Many families have members that have served in the military. This is a great day to reflect upon their service to our country.

On this day, I am thankful for my grandfather, Leslie Snoddy, who served in the United States Marine Corp during the Korean War.

Papa, as I call him, lied about his age when he was a 17 year old senior, so that he could enlist in the Marines. After training at Paris Island, he was shipped off to fight against the North Koreans. During his time there, he stepped on a land mine. As a result of this accident, my grandfather lost both of his legs.

As of this year, he has lived over 50 years without his legs. On this day, I am mindful of him. I am inspired by his courage and his resiliency. Many people would not have been able to move past that moment; however, he moved on to become one of the nicest, sweetest men that I have ever met.

Thank you Papa, thank you veterans, thanks to all of you who are serving our country in the military. I am grateful and appreciative of your service.

Wishing you a happy Veteran's Day,
Larry

No comments: